Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Look up in the sky...

There's been a lot of hypes on this blog for other stuff going on, so I thought I would change up the tone for this post.
Superman is one of my favorite characters of all time, and one of my favorite movies of all time. Currently ranked #3 in my top 10 (after Conan and 2001), Superman has been in my top 10 longer than any other movie.

When I say Superman, I of course, mean the Christopher Reeve Superman film. Until recently I had included Superman 2 as part of Superman 1…making both films count as 1 slot on my top 10 (I do that a lot, all 5 Planet of the Apes movies count for one). But recently I have changed it to include all 4 of the Reeve Superman films.

The reason for this is simple. Christopher Reeve is just the best. I own/plan to own all superhero/comic book movies. I own every Superman dvd that is available (except smallville, which I will eventually buy, even though its not superman). But no other actor/actress defines a character so well as Reeve did for Superman. George Reeves was good, I must admit, but he was before my time, and I hope I am not being unfair to him, but Christopher is just the best. Perhaps Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman would be a close second, but Reeve is the champion.

When I watched these films I actually believed, not only that man could fly (as per the ads at the time of its release) but I believed that Reeve was Superman.

Later of course I saw him as an actor (Death Trap comes to mind – great film to showcase his talent), but when he was injured I knew that he wasn’t really Superman. Superman cant be hurt, but Reeve could. I was pretty sad. I knew deep down that they wouldnt make any more Reeve Superman films, but still, I hated to see him injured. I thought he was down for the count...
But I was proven wrong.

After he lost his mobility we all thought he would continue on living in seclusion, but again, we were wrong. He fought hard against his disability and started raising money for spinal cord research. He never gave up hope, he fought against all the odds and it was even rumored that towards the end of his life he started to feel again. Only Superman would continue to fight after such a devastating defeat.

A couple of years ago two of my good friends showed me a couple of Superman Dog Tags they had gotten when they donated $10 to Reeve’s foundation. I quickly did my part and donated. The Dog Tags are great!

The other day I was looking for them again and realized that I haven’t worn them in a while and felt that I should. I also went back online and donated another 30 bucks and got 3 more (they will arrive soon). It’s well worth it to remember Reeve and Superman.


The purpose for this post is just to remember Reeve and Superman. It was a great series that will never be duplicated again.

Ill sign off with my favorite quote from the film. When Jonathan Kent warns Clark about using his powers.

Jonathan Kent: Yeah, I know, you can do all these amazing things and sometimes you feel like you will just go bust unless you can tell people about them.

Young Clark Kent: Yeah. I mean every time I kick the football I can make a touchdown. Every time! I mean, is it showing off if somebody's doing the things he's capable of doing? Is a bird showing off when it flies?

Jonathan Kent: No, no. Now, you listen to me. When you first came to us, we thought people would come and take you away because, when they found out, you know, the things you could do... and that worried us a lot. But then a man gets older, and he starts thinking differently and things get very clear. And one thing I do know, son, and that is you are here for a reason. I don't know whose reason, or whatever the reason is... Maybe it's because... uh... I don't know. But I do know one thing. It's not to score touchdowns.

-Jason (aka J-KraKen)

To order the dog tags:
http://www.wbshop.com/Go-Forward-Dog-Tags/smgfdt,default,sc.html

No comments:

Post a Comment