Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Not Canada's or Paramount's...

Alice in Wonderland.

Or you could call it, Alice Returns to Wonderland, cause this isn’t based on the book. It’s kind of a sequel to Alice Through the Looking Glass. In any case most people don’t know about Alice in general, so it doesn’t matter. So ill just give my 2 cents on this movie, and not on the Alice world – which I like by the way.

This movie was really cool. I loved the characters and how they were brought to life. I have only seen Alice in animated form, and in actors dressed up form. So seeing dee and dum in cgi was kinda neat cause there are 2 short fat guys. And seeing the Red Queen’s card army in armour was wicked too.

Since Alice is mostly about roaming around underland (wonderland) and doesn’t have much of a story, the characters are what makes the movie.

My top characters were Red Queen, Alice and Mad Hatter.

Hatter is Johnny Depp – I need not say any more.

Alice was played by Mia Wasikowska – she was really good in this role. Not annoying, but very kind and sweet. I was totally able to follow her through this world.

The Red Queen was played by Helena Bonham Carter, who I never thought much of…meaning I never really thought of her. Not saying she was bad, but I never really noticed her, only after Sweeny Todd did I realize that she basically steals every movie she is in. I really like her a lot. She may be one of my top actresses of all time.

I don’t know what to say, to me she is the female Johnny Depp, and trust me, I wouldn’t throw that out so lightly. It’s like every time I see her or Depp I think they are great…and that happens all the time – even if the movie is so-so I always like Depp and Carter.

The Red Queen and Hatter were in competition for best character, but the Queen won I think. She was just so wickedly funny!

And now on to Crispin Glover as Stayne (or knave of Hearts) and Ann Hathaway as the White Queen.

Well Crispin Glover is wicked as always and he is never given enough to do. Even when he is the star of a movie he isn’t given enough! In this film he was wicked, but his part was not strong enough – if it was any other actor I wouldn’t have cared for him. He was just a thug basically but Crispin made him better than he was!

As for Ann, I just didn’t like her at all in this. It’s not the makeup, which is cool, its more her floating around with hands in the air – she did it the entire time. I was watching for it, since it annoyed the piss out of me. But then again she’s not in very much of it, so it was ok. The majority of the movie is with the Red Queen, which is smart.

It’s not Ann’s fault, but the heroes in these types of movies are never very interesting. Especially princesses. I think the white queen is worse then red. Who wants to live in a boring white castle? I will say the white army is wicked though. They are chess pieces with armour!!!

All in all you must see this movie. I wont comment on 3D – I saw it in 2D and from what I saw it was very obvious that it wasn’t meant for 3D – NOTHING popped out at you at all – look at My Bloody Valentine (remake) – where everything in the movie pokes the screen – that is 3D.

Alice works well on it’s own without the gimmick of 3D, so see it!

4/5

J-Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment