Thursday, April 22, 2010

The prequel to 9001

Detroit 9000.

Still on my blaxploitation kick. D9K isn’t really one though, but I thought it was, well it kind of is – its more like Cotton Comes to Harlem, but instead of 2 black cops, its one white one black.

What it is (plot): Some politician wants to become the first black governor, he turns out to be a real dick (as most politicians are anyway!?) but we didn’t know that at the time, so anyway he holds a big rally where a lot of brothers and sisters show up to give jewels and cash – well to their surprise a bunch of masked robbers show up and steal everything. The robbers are wearing nylons over their heads and ski masks over the nylons. The reason for this – which I figured out on my own – was to hide the race of the robbers. So a white cop is assigned to the case and he isn’t happy because if they never catch the guys, it will look like a cover up by the man to keep a black man from being governor, BUT if the criminals are white guys, they will think that anyway, but if the robbers are black, then it will make the blacks look bad – so basically you cant win – or can you?

Yeah you can, and you are smart enough (as I was) to guess that its probably an interracial gang of robbers – you are right. BUT, this is kind of cool because at the time of the movie you wouldn’t have guessed it!

The mystery of why this was done is pretty cool and the conclusion is very interesting, in an uninteresting way – if that makes any sense. The logical thing happens. But what makes this movie great is the characters and the story – everything is revealed very slowly and you never know where the plot will go. And there is a big twist – sort of – in the end, that I also saw coming – BUT – I may have been wrong – BUT I may have been right too – I cannot explain without spoiling it and the movie never explains itself, so you are left with your own interpretation – which I really like!

I watched this movie in 2 parts – the first 70 mins, and the last 30. After watching the first 70 mins, I liked it. Then when I saw the last 30 I really liked it! It got better as it went along – and I’m glad it did!

Good movie.

3.5/5

J-Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment