Friday, May 28, 2010

Still flying high!


All Star Superman.

The “All Star” label is similar to “Elseworlds” – it’s DC’s way of letting people experiment with their characters, without affecting the continuity of the DC world.

The first AS title was AS Batman & Robin – written by the great Frank Miller who is the Two-Face of comics. He’s either the best, or worst. In the case of ASBM&R he was the worst. Maybe the worst of all time. I actually got the first few issues and got to see Batman beat Robin, and act like dick to all the other heroes. Needless to say I was turned off by the AS title and I was done.

All Star Superman came out soon after and although I collected all S titles, I didn’t bother with this. Come the comicon – some guy was pushing AS Superman LARGE. I didn’t buy it.

By that point I stopped collecting Superman and only got the trades. The trades didn’t collect all Superman stories, but the main ones. I was only missing 2 Superman trades, the All Star ones. So I said, F it, ill get them.

WOW.

AS SUPERMAN has to be one of the best Superman Stories of all time. I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BUY IT – I will be getting the Absolute edition as well.

The story is very tough to explain, since it spans a long period of time, but it’s basically every Superman idea in one – BUT with new stuff you never thought of.

How about a Bizarro Jor-EL! How about Superman keeping a pet that eats SUNS!!! He creates artificial suns to feed it!!!!!!! How about seeing all the future Supermen? (Including a 5th Dimension one!). How about Superman entering the sun – which is the source of his power! There are so many things going on this book, it’s just so awesome! All the characters are true to form too, and I heard through some of guys here that this was being considered as a live action film.

First off, that would be wicked, so it’s not gonna happen. Plus it would have to run 5 hours or something to get it all in there, and to take out anything would be death.

Let me explain – the premise is that Lex Luthor won. He has killed Superman. Lex sabotaged man’s first trip to the sun! Superman flies to the rescue but his cells absorb too much yellow sun and he is overcharged to with so much energy that his cells cant take it anymore (Lex figured this would happen). Superman will soon die. Before he dies he must complete 12 challenges (Heracles’ style). Does he die in the end? I’m not gonna tell you! Read it and find out.

5/5

J-Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment