Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Splice It Up


Okay, I resisted going to see this movie, but the other two bloggers on this site wanted to see it, so majority rules. Why did I not want to see it? I'm not a big fan of Sarah Polley. Or, more to the point, I'm not a big fan of Sarah Polley shoving her personal politics into movies. Look, politics suck, I think we can all agree that politicians are correct jackasses who are only interested in lining their pockets. Agreed. The problem is, I know this. It's like this big revelation: politicians are bad! Non-feminists are bad! Other people good! Okay. Do I really need to sit through a movie 2 hours to know this? Okay, I get it. Seeing as how Sarah was starring in this movie, and she's all into politics and feminism and stuff, I was cringing.

Luckily though, we had a good director at the helm. His name is Vincenzo Natali, and this man is gold, at least through the two films I've seen of his. I haven't seen Cypher or Nothing, but based on these two movies, I want to, now. His movies are really engrossing, and really deep. Like the amount of themes in this film is crazy. There's the standard Frankenstein "don't mess with nature" theme. There's parenting, there's Freud Oedipus theories, there's feminism (what, you didn't think Sarah would sneak that in?), there's all sorts of things.

That being said, the trailers and TV spots really want you to think this is a horror movie. It's not. It's sci-fi. It's about the limits to what we know, versus what we are capable of, but the problem is, is that we're human, we're flawed, and in the end, should it be us to be the one's to have these breakthroughs? I mean, the movie suggests that the only reason we aren't further advanced, is because of our own imperfections, our emotions, our jealousy, our greed. It's a really good sci-fi flick, and should be seen by a wider audience.

But back to Sarah, did I like her? Yes, and no. She seemed to be really good at being cruel to Dren at times, almost a little too good. She was good though; I never thought she was a bad actress, I just don't like having poltiical agendas shoved down my throat. I liked Adrien Brody. I know some people think he's ugly or whatever, but you know what, the dude can act. Not everyone is going to look like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie, so I think we're all good there. I think the important thing is, can you act, and Brody can act. It's a shame he doesn't get more big-profile leading man assignments, but I'm sure the shallow, vapid powerbrokers in Hollywood would sputter all over their cocaine at the thought of that.

Anyhow, that's about all of Splice I'm going to reveal. You should watch the movie, though. Seriously.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

I bid thee a fond political agenda.

- Stephenstein

No comments:

Post a Comment