Thursday, August 12, 2010

A fistful of last men standing.

Yojimbo.

I FINALLY saw this movie. I knew the story (remade as Fistful of Dollars and Last Man Standing – which I saw in theatres), so I knew about this classic but never saw it.

I was only going to watch a bit just to see what it looked like, but after 3 mins had passed I was hooked and ended up watching the entire thing.

Something so wicked happens after the credits that I couldn’t stop myself from finishing it. Ill watch Sanjuro next.

Anyway, the plot is about a drifter, (samurai in this case, but gunslinger in others) who wanders into a town where there are 2 feuding clans. He pits them against each other and hires himself out to both in order to destroy them. I know this has been copied to the ends of the Earth, but this was one of the first films to use that premise (if not the first?).

The cinematography is so amazing for a black and white movie, and it’s really inspiring! And as I mentioned the opening is so wicked that I am going to steal it for one of my stories!

If you like Zatoichi and Lone Wolf, this is a must buy on DVD and it’s on bluray too!

5/5

J-Man.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the club, sir. :)

    If you're still rolling on Mifune movies, specifically Yojimbo/Sanjuro, don't forget to watch Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo. Crossover mania!

    I think my favorite of the Mifune movies is the Samurai trilogy. It's the story of Musashi Miyamoto.

    ReplyDelete