Thursday, January 20, 2011

Top 10 of 2010


Another year, another batch of movies that have passed. I've already reviewed my first film of 2011, but have now decided to officially wrap up last year, and name my top ten list. Note those who are curious, that I will include movies I did not see in theatres, but saw elsewhere.

10. Saw 7 -- I wish I'd been able to wrap up the series properly, but the 3D nonsense they insisted on foisting on me convinced me otherwise. It's too bad too, because like the other ones, I really liked this one. If this is the end, then they wrapped it up well.

9. Salt -- I didn't think this one would make the list, but Angelina Jolie was too good in the movie. It was one of those rare action thrillers that stayed with you, and it was pretty smart.

8. Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief -- I got turned off by the trailer for this one, which was my mistake. I saw it later, and saw how cool it was. It blew the inferior Clash of the Titans out of the water, and was one of the few kid friendly movies that didn't annoy me.

7. Centurion -- Another one I missed, but that's due to the poor release for the movie. I don't know why it wasn't released well either, considering it had plenty of action, gore, and story to keep people entertained.

6. The Expendables -- I had to put this one on the list, just based on the awesome cast alone. It was a pretty damned good action movie nevertheless, and it goes to show you what you can accomplish when you really set out to make an awesome movie to please the fans.

5. The Book of Eli -- This one grew on me, as I wasn't sure how I felt about the ending to this movie, but watching it again, you have to love Denzel, and his big mission. Plus, the shootout in the house was just crazy.

4. Inception -- I think I actually like Chris Nolan's original movies more than the Batman movies...at least I don't feel like he's screwing up something I really like. This was another engaging film, where even though I knew what was coming next, I wanted to see it anyway!

3. Predators -- Wow. You got to hand it to Robert Rodriguez. He said "I want to make a Predator movie for fans of the original". That's exactly what he did, and being a fan of the original, this one blew me away, when I wasn't even expecting much.

2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World -- The most entertaining film of the year, this movie had everything for pop culture fans who grew up in the 80's, and wish our films had a little more fantasy. It's too bad this movie didn't dominate in the box office because it damn well should have.

1. Tron: Legacy -- Hands down the #1 movie of the year. Forget the talk that there was no story, and this and that, this movie brought the Tron world back to life, updated, but still with a feel for the first film. Jeff Bridges excelled in his duel roles, and this one is the perfect companion to the original.

So that's it for 2010, see you all again this time next year!

- Stephenstein

No comments:

Post a Comment