Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Say 10 hail Marys and see Priest.


Priest.


Priest is the best movie that could have been made given the budget, talent and story involved. You cannot compare this to other movies of it’s kind because they had more budget so the scope would have been bigger, this movie is perfect for what it is and it’s a genre picture.


It’s not the best movie of all time, but it was one hell of a good ride! When someone asks what was the coolest movie of the year, I think it’s gonna be Priest (although Immortals may end up beating it).


Just like Season of the Witch, everyone shat on this movie, FOR NO REASON! It’s not supposed to be Harry Potter or something, it’s a fun movie with cool characters and setting, and I for one really enjoyed this. A lot!


I would put it in the category of Nemesis, Solomon Kane and Space Hunter. It’s better than Van Damme’s Cyborg (I love that movie anyway though) but it’s not quite Nemesis, but you get my drift. I mean obviously Road Warrior and Escape from New York are the best in this genre, and this isn’t nearly as good, but when compared to the lower budgeted stuff, this is one of the best!


I judge based on the criteria of what the movie accomplished for what it had to work with, and in that case, this is a winner!


I’m sure you all know the basic premise, Priests fight vampires and now one Priest goes against the church to search for a kidnapped girl. The vampires in this movie are monsters, not teenie-bopper guys with no shirts on. They are sick monsters that only kill. The familiars – usually human, are a cross bread – think Nosferatu, and there is a queen vampire – which we don’t see too much of and the main villain called Black Hat, is a – I wont give it away!


I also like the names in this movie, Priest, Priestess, Black Hat etc. I like when characters don’t have names, like in They Live.


Paul Bettany, Maggie Q, Karl Urban, and all the cast, are really wicked and I actually liked every character.


Go see and support this one – plus there are like 3-4 cheap pop scenes that make you jump! – DON’T SEE IT IN 3D THOUGH – it was a post conversion.


4.5/5


J-Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment