Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Big Black.


Gulliver’s Travels.


Modernized version of Gulliver and his travels. This time Jack Black is the big man in Lilliput and he has to help a slave find love, defeat an angry general and fight a giant robot.


This movie is for kids. Very simple, very straightforward. Nothing new to offer anyone really, but there were some fun moments – like when Jack Black has the little people recreate movies like Star Wars – the whole “Luke I am your father” scene was funny, and of course Black takes credit for creating Star Wars – he claims its his life story. So that was funny.


Some other moments too, Kiss playing Rock and Roll All Night etc.


The robot fight is very short, and not even really worth mentioning as a good point.


The movie isn’t a bad movie. Very nice colours, great visuals, and I like Jack Black in anything. I think he is a fun actor and I enjoyed his “performance” in this movie. I use quotes because it’s really just him being himself – but then again that’s why they got him for this film anyway.


It was a fun movie, but it’s really a movie made for very small children only. Anyone else will find it a passable time waster, but I’d stick with the Harryhausen version any day, and twice on Sunday.


3/5


J-Man.

1 comment:

  1. My worst fear is that Jack Black will go soft because he has a kid. I feel that's the reason why Eddie Murphy did nothing but kids movies for a long stint because of his kid. While I feel that Nacho Libre was his best comedic performance, I'll always remember him as the kick-ass loser from Tenacious D. I will be heartbroken if he drops his most famous persona, especially while he's still physically able to move the way he does. He inspires me to stay energetic, despite my weight issue. Heh.

    ReplyDelete